Welcome to RoboFont! ↩
RoboFont is a UFO-based font editor for macOS.
RoboFont provides a simple to use environment for creating typefaces.
Some of the main features of RoboFont are:
- written from scratch in Python with scalability in mind
- full scripting access to objects and the application interface
- it can be used as a platform to build additional tools
- does not perform any ‘auto-magic’
- does not overload the user with a multitude of options
- uses the UFO format as its native file format
The operating philosophy behind RoboFont is:
Because of this, RoboFont provides many opportunities for the user to tailor the application to their design process. It is strict about not performing ‘auto-magic’ on one’s font files, ‘auto-’ anything is avoided if possible. This means that it does not do and does not have some features of other font editing applications. Because the application is extensible, if a user finds a need for a feature that isn’t part of RoboFont, it can be added. This gives users control to design the application according to their own workflow.
However, the core of RoboFont is a fully-featured drawing editor, containing all the basic tools a typeface designer needs for drawing and modifying a design.